LAWRENCE — Fourteen KU staff members will hone their leadership skills in 2021 through participation in the university’s Aspiring Leaders program. This is the sixth cohort since the program launched in 2017.
The eight-month Aspiring Leaders program, originally designed in partnership with the Shared Service Centers leadership, provides an experiential, hands-on approach allowing participants to learn the essentials of effective leadership to lead from where they are within their organization.
The curriculum includes monthly classroom sessions as well as individual coaching, small group collaborations and independent study and reflection to sustain the learning. Underpinning the program is the belief that deep awareness of self is required to be an effective leader. Therefore, participants engage in clarifying their strengths, developing their ability to manage self, thinking critically and engaging the practice of leadership through a reflective and intentional pursuit. All aspects of the program will be conducted virtually this year.
“KU has a number of outstanding programs to help staff develop key interpersonal and professional skills. The Aspiring Leaders program, in particular, strengthens our university by preparing staff to be future leaders within the institution,” said Mike Rounds, vice provost for human resources, public safety, facilities and operations.
The 2021 Aspiring Leaders:
- Maria Isabel Alcazar, international program specialist, Study Abroad and Global Engagement
- Michael Bridges, police officer, Public Safety Office
- Jordan Clark, academic adviser, College Advising & Student Services
- Victor Downing, custodian, Custodial Services
- Jennifer Dumpert, research compliance coordinator, Research Integrity
- Zachary Ebmeier, maintenance technician senior, Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center
- Deva Freeman, administrative assistant, Human Resource Management
- David Hall, laboratory coordinator, Undergraduate Biology
- Erin Kelley-Garrison, academic adviser, College Advising & Student Services
- Ryan Manuel, custodian, Custodial Services
- Madelyn Mueller, academic adviser, School of Business
- Lynn Ward, library assistant, Spencer Research Library
- Stephen Werninger, senior IT analyst, KU Edwards Campus
- Jamie Wilson, academic adviser, Undergraduate Advising Center.