YODER – Michael Kaste, special agent in charge at the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Kansas City division, congratulated 58 new law enforcement officers during their graduation from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center earlier this month.
The new officers were members of the 221st basic training class at the center. Located one mile west and one mile south of Yoder, near Hutchinson, the center is a division of University of Kansas Continuing Education.
The graduates, who began their training Sept. 24, 2012, and graduated Jan. 18, represented 41 municipal, county and state law enforcement agencies in Kansas.
Graduates receive certificates of course completion from KLETC and Kansas law enforcement certification from the Kansas Commission on Peace Officers’ Standards and Training, the state’s law enforcement licensing authority. The training course fulfills the state requirement for law enforcement training. Classroom lectures and hands-on applications help train officers to solve the increasingly complex problems they face in the line of duty.
Established by the Kansas Legislature in 1968, the center trains the majority of municipal, county and state law enforcement officers in Kansas and oversees the training of the remaining officers at seven authorized and certified academy programs operated by local law enforcement agencies and the Kansas Highway Patrol.
About 300 officers enroll annually in the 14-week basic training program. In 2010, the center offered continuing education and specialized training to more than 5,600 Kansas officers. Funding for the training center is generated from court docket fees from municipal and state courts. No funds from the state’s general revenue are used to operate the center.
Graduates who granted permission to release their names are listed below by agency.
- Augusta Department of Safety; Brandon E. Bradley; patrol officer; Augusta
- Augusta Department of Safety; Quinten R. Shoopman; patrol officer; Augusta
- Bentley Police Department; Clarence A. Lundry; interim chief; Bentley
- Chanute Police Department; Tom B. Havron; patrol officer; Chanute
- Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Department; Nathaniel M. Rees; deputy; Sedan
- Cloud County Sheriff’s Department; Kirk W. Barr; deputy; Concordia
- Cloud County Sheriff’s Department; John D. Primeaux; deputy; Concordia
- Cowley County Sheriff’s Department; Andrew P. Ternes; deputy; Winfield
- Derby Police Department; Laura J. Delimont; patrol officer; Derby
- Dodge City Police Department; Waide O. Scott; patrol officer; Dodge City
- Elkhart Police Department; Bobbie G. Campbell; patrol officer; Elkhart
- Emporia Police Department; William E. Kent; patrol officer; Emporia
- Finney County Sheriff’s Office; Jason B. Hoke; deputy; Garden City
- Finney County Sheriff’s Office; Eric A. Rojas; deputy; Garden City
- Garden City Police ; Jerred M. Stritt; patrol officer; Garden City
- Goddard Police Department; Eduardo Banda; patrol officer; Goddard
- Great Bend Police Department; Randy J. Cornwell; patrol officer; Great Bend
- Herington Police Department; Joseph D. Barrett; patrol officer; Herington
- Hill City Police Department; Chanda L. Fitzmaurice; patrol officer; Hill City
- Iola Police Department; Brian C. Fees; patrol officer; Iola
- Iola Police Department; Brian C. Plumlee; patrol officer; Iola
- Iola Police Department; S. Joe Robertson; patrol officer; Iola
- Junction City Police Department; Emily N. Bird; patrol officer; Junction City
- Junction City Police Department; Michael A. Vallon; patrol officer; Junction City
- Kansas Alcoholic Beverage Control Division; Raychel R. Johnston; enforcement agent; Topeka
- Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, & Tourism; Brent B. Clark; Program Service Manger II; Garden City
- Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, & Tourism; Travis A. Schulte; natural resource officer; Webber
- Leavenworth County Sheriff’s Office; Megan R. Mance; deputy; Leavenworth
- Leavenworth County Sheriff’s Office; Carl A. Wilk III; deputy; Leavenworth
- Liberal Police Department; Juan R. Diaz de leon; patrol officer; Liberal
- Liberal Police Department; Jacob P. Hampton; patrol officer; Liberal
- Marion Police Department; Bryce A. Suffield; patrol officer; Marion
- Mitchell County Sheriff’s Office; Luke A. Deneke; deputy; Beloit
- Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office; Jacob L. Garcia; deputy; Independence
- Osage County Sheriff’s Office; Derek K. Haines; deputy; Lyndon
- Osage County Sheriff’s Office; Blake M. Reker; deputy; Lyndon
- Paola Police Department; Nicholas D. Gazzano; patrol officer; Paola
- Parsons Police Department; Andrew C. Boyd; patrol officer; Parsons
- Peabody Police Department; Travis L. Davis; patrol officer; Peabody
- Pottawatomie County Sheriff’s Office; Tyler P. Garver; deputy; Westmoreland
- Reno County Sheriff’s Office; Tawnya M. Guthrie; deputy; Hutchinson
- Riley County Police Department; Robert E. Learned IV; patrol officer; Manhattan
- Riley County Police Department; Andrew C. Toolin; patrol officer; Manhattan
- Salina Police Department; Desmond L. Calloway; patrol officer; Salina
- Stockton Police Department; Jacob A. Stice; patrol officer; Stockton
- Thomas County Sheriff’s Office; Ryan W. Luckert; deputy; Colby
- University of Kansas Police Department; Cortney R. Coke; patrol officer; Lawrence
- University of Kansas Police Department; Jamie M. Johnson; patrol officer; Lawrence
- University of Kansas Police Department; Samuel G. Olker; patrol officer; Lawrence
- Wichita State University Police Department; Phillip M. Shelite; patrol officer; Wichita.