How KU takes action against sexual assault

Wed, 09/03/2014

The University of Kansas is committed to creating an environment that is safe for every member of our community. Sexual assault is a crime, but KU can also take action outside what the criminal justice system can do.

When we receive a report of a sexual assault, we follow a robust process in which trained investigators work collaboratively with law enforcement. We also implement protective measures that only the university can mandate, such as No Contact Directives issued to those accused of sexual assault and/or removing them from student housing. Survivors receive guidance on pursuing their complaints through the university process, the criminal justice system, or both, as well as counseling and academic support.

KU can — and does — suspend and expel students for sexual assault.

The university consults with survivors regarding sanctions and pursues those sanctions a survivor finds most appropriate. For example, if a survivor believes the university should impose a suspension or expulsion the university did not otherwise intend to pursue, a hearing will take place to pursue such a sanction.

Because of federal law — and more importantly, out of concern for the privacy of survivors — we do not discuss details of specific cases.

Efforts to prevent sexual assault in the first place are also vital, and all students, faculty, and staff receive education about sexual assault and harassment.

All KU employees are also required to promptly report incidents to the appropriate authorities.

If you are the victim of sexual assault or harassment, or know of someone who is, speak up to the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access (785-864-6414), and/or by making a criminal complaint to KU Public Safety (785-864-5900).

Tammara Durham
Vice Provost for Student Affairs


Where should I report sexual violence and sexual harassment?

  • In cases of immediate danger or in an emergency, call 911.
  • KU Office of Public Safety at 785-864-5900, Contact KUPSO to report all crimes that have occurred on campus. For crimes that have occurred off campus, contact the Lawrence Police Department at 785-832-7509, or, if outside Lawrence, the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction.
  • KU Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access (IOA) (Title IX Coordinator) at 785-864-6414 or IOA is the KU office responsible for investigating complaints of sexual harassment, including all forms of sexual violence (rape, sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, etc.).  For detailed information visit or

Why should I report to both the police and IOA?

Police Report – Criminal Process

IOA Report – Administrative Process


Prosecutors must prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt.

IOA considers whether it is more likely than not that the behavior occurred (preponderance of the evidence).

The criminal standard is harder to prove than the administrative standard.

If an individual is found guilty, he/she will be subject to criminal penalties. 

If an individual is found responsible, he/she will be subject to University disciplinary action and/or other sanctions.

IOA can take action to protect you on campus.

Criminal cases ordinarily take months to years to resolve.

IOA can take action quickly (see below) and complete investigations in 60 days, except in extenuating circumstances.

The IOA process is ordinarily quicker than the criminal process

A court can issue a protective order.

IOA can:

  • Issue a “No Contact” directive to a person to prohibit them from having direct and indirect contact with you;
  • Implement interim measures (e.g., change a class schedule or provide alternative parking, living arrangements, academic support services, an escort on campus, etc.); and
  • Enforce a court order on campus.

IOA can provide assistance on campus to prevent interference with your participation in KU’s program and activities, including access to your education. 


KU cannot take action to assist you if you do not make a report. Please contact IOA.

Other campus and community resources

KU Emily Taylor Center for Women & Gender Equity, 785-864-3552

KU Counseling and Psychological Services, 785-864-2277

KU Student Health Services (sexual assault nurse examiner available) 785-864-9500

GaDuGi SafeCenter 785-843-8985

Willow Domestic Violence Center 785-331-2034

Lawrence Memorial Hospital (sexual assault nurse examiner available) 785-505-6162.


For more campus and community resources, visit:

RT @kulawschool : In a recent essay for the Seton Hall Law Review, Professor Najarian Peters writes that before the U.S. can make true progr…

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today