LAWRENCE — Six University of Kansas students who have been selected for the inaugural varsity Jayhawk Esports team will come together for the first time and sign their official contracts at an event this week.
Students will be introduced by Coach Michelle Compton-Munoz, sign the contracts outlining their participation in the program and wear the first Jayhawk Esports gear at the program, which begins at 4 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, in the Kansas Union, Traditions Area, Level Four.
"When I called to offer the opportunity to these students, they were all full of excitement and gratitude for this opportunity," Compton-Munoz said. "Although they all have been able to talk as a team via Discord, signing day will be the first time we have the entire team together offline. Signing day also makes it official so that we can begin formalized practices and competitions."
The team members:
- Dylan Whiddon, a freshman in biology from Wichita
- Jarrett Zeliff, a sophomore in interdisciplinary computing from Lawrence
- Shane Thompson, a junior in biochemistry from Lenexa
- Diego Recanate Planas, a senior in finance from Asunción, Paraguay
- Chenhui Liu, a senior in mechanical engineering from Leawood
- Dawson Rooney, a sophomore in computer science from Hays.
Dell Technologies and KU Information Technology have come together in a partnership that will allow the students to have a practice site in the Kansas Union. Although this space will not be complete until January, both Dell Technologies and KU Information Technology will attend the event.